URGENT! TEXAS SENATE FINANCE COMMITTEE HEARING ON HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES, JANUARY 31, 2017!
UPDATE: We just received word that this hearing will recess sometime around 10:30 am, and will likely reconvene some time after NOON. Please plan your day accordingly if you plan to attend to give testimony.
Texans targeted by drastic cuts to the state’s health and human services (HHS) budget (Article 2) need your support on January 31st!
If you think Texas should have a robust Medicaid program, strong supports for children with special needs, provide services to adults with disabilities so they can work and live full lives, and don’t want the Texas legislature to slash funding, SHOW UP.
Come to the Capitol and show your support for resisting the Senate’s proposed budget. We need folks who can:
- Attend the hearing and keep the room full to show our support for halting cuts to Medicaid
- Sign up to give oral testimony (more details to come in comments below)
- Write and turn in written testimony (more details to come in comments below)
- Speak with the media about how cuts to the state’s Medicaid budget harm them and/or their families.
The committee is taking public testimony on the HHS section of the Senate Budget put forth by Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Sen. Jane Nelson. The Senate budget includes nearly half a billion dollars in cuts to health and human services, which would devastate medical care and services that Texas children and families rely on. The Senate bill also fails to provide funding to cover Medicaid for the full two years of the next budget.
People who will be harmed by these cuts include:
- Children who get their health insurance through Medicaid
- People with disabilities
- Low-income seniors, and
- Pregnant women
Your presence and your testimony can make a difference for millions of Texans.